Editor’s note: This is the Friday, Nov. 8 edition of the Purple & Bold Lakers newsletter. To receive the newsletter in your inbox, sign up here.
Most of the dialogue so much has been concentrated on Clippers star Kawhi Leonard, who’s twice missed the nationally televised front conclude of a again-to-again with what, the league disclosed Thursday, is “an ongoing injury to the patella tendon in his remaining knee.”
Of course, Clippers coach Doc Rivers earlier characterised Leonard’s “load management (knee)” absences as an injury-avoidance approach — which would’ve been against NBA rules intended to maintain groups from resting wholesome players in substantial-profile video games.
And of course, that’s all Clippers enterprise, but Lakers fans might want to shell out interest, you could be quizzed on this later: Frank Vogel and his staff are likely to want to maintain LeBron James (who is averaging 35 minutes) and Anthony Davis (34.7 minutes) as wholesome and as fresh as possible, too.
“We’re likely to enjoy every single evening to earn with wonderful significance put on that video game, and within participating in workable minutes exactly where guys are becoming managed for the very long haul,” Vogel said at a follow before the time started.
Taking care of for the very long haul might include things like, say, a video game off to recover from the unavoidable nicks that afflict every single player?
The Lakers have 12 again-to-again sets of video games this time, like their initial Nov. 12 in Phoenix against the shocking Suns and then Nov. 13 at residence against the floundering Golden State Warriors — the latter of which will be broadcast by ESPN.
Theoretically, the Lakers would be greater served by possessing their stars in the lineup for a highway video game against a superior crew than for a residence video game against a depleted, unimposing opponent. The community, on the other hand, would be greater served by possessing at least the Lakers’ stars on the court docket for its broadcast.
Or take into consideration the consecutive video games in New York, on Jan. 22 against the Knicks and Jan. 23 at Brooklyn — the latter to air on TNT. James appreciates participating in at Madison Sq. Backyard garden, so he might not want to miss out on that 1. But the TNT folks would not value him lacking their conclude of again to again.
To sit or not to sit, that problem, either way, is likely to elicit a selection of belief. And if it happens, there will be predictable levels of reaction.
- There will be outrage: “You’re compensated to enjoy 82 video games.”
- There will be acceptance: “In get to exhibit up, you have to be wholesome and readily available,” said the L.A. Sparks’ Chiney Ogwumike on ESPN, talking about running her very own injuries.
- There will be confusion: What does “load management” even imply? “I don’t know exactly where load management generally implies getting video games off,” said Portland coach Terry Stotts, who has not circled any video games on the plan to sit Damian Lillard or CJ McCollum. “We have a overall health and functionality staff, we received all the analytics and scientific tests and we’re very knowledgeable — if you want to get in touch with it load — we’re very knowledgeable of every player’s load, and we take care of that. So I guess that’s load running.”
- There could be punishment: The NBA fined the Clippers $50,000 for adding to the consternation with inconsistent stories in general public and to the league about Leonard’s unavailability.
- And there will be benefits: Leonard, who led Toronto to a title past time soon after participating in only 60 frequent-time video games, all over again appeared “well-rested,” as Stotts set it, scoring 18 factors in the fourth quarter of the Clippers’ 107-101 victory Thursday. In seven video games so much, Leonard is averaging a league-finest 13.5 factors in the closing period of time.
All that could be on the take a look at, since when Vogel suggests the Lakers will take into consideration “every way we can” to maintain the 34-year-aged James wholesome, that definitely pertains to reducing minutes in follow, and you might also want it to pertain to reducing minutes in level of competition.
— Mirjam Swanson
Editor’s note: Thanks for reading through the Purple & Bold Lakers newsletter. To receive the newsletter in your inbox, sign up here.
Additional reading through
- Glass 50 percent comprehensive – Avery Bradley is questionable, but he’s wanting at it “a little far more on the good facet.”
- Communicate is inexpensive – So Dwight Howard’s walk is declaring every little thing.
- Get to know Quinn Cook – He’s a job player with championship standpoint.
- How ‘bout them Lakers!?! – Understudies steal the exhibit in a thrilling fourth-quarter rally in Chicago.
- “I imply, I am a totally free agent future year” – WYD A.D.?
- The young ones from Akron – The LeBron James Family members Foundation declared the I Guarantee Village, a transitional housing software in his beloved hometown.
- D-FENCE! – “We don’t get out of the way. We get in the way.”
- That splat you heard? – Mark Heisler writes about the tumble of the not long ago mighty Warriors.